Waimate
The District The Council
Home > Waimate > Attractions

Waimate Old Cemetery

In October 1871, the Canterbury Provincial Council set up a board to establish the Waimate Cemetery.  Board members were; Michael Studholme, Leonard Price, John Manchester, James Bruce and John O'Keefe.

The cemetery covers an area of 2.33 hectors.  The grounds are allocated in areas according to faith, Anglican, Catholic, Wesleyan, Presbyterian, Episcopalian and Free Ground.

The earliest grave markers were made of wood and Waihao stone.  As the settlement prospered, other New Zealand stone including granite were used.  In addition granite from Cathiners in Scotland and Carrara Marble from Italy. 

Stories told by the headstone trace the early settlement of Waimate.  The scourge of Tuberculosis, Influenza and Scarlett Fever is reflected by the inscriptions.

In April 2012 Waimate Promotions erected an Information Board just inside the gates of the old cemetery highlighting ten of Waimate's early settlers buried there, giving a glimpse of their life and death.  Numbered markers also indicate the way to their headstones.

A self guiding brochure is also available from the Information Centre for those wishing this information.

Download your copy Waimate Old Cemetry brochure

The cemetery is today maintained by Waimate District Council.



QUICK SEARCH