Economic Development Strategy
Our District. Our Future.
Waimate District Economic Development Strategy
The Waimate District Council is in the process of creating ‘Our District. Our Future. Waimate District Economic Development Strategy’ to:
- identify the strengths of Waimate District’s economy
- identify opportunities to retain and attract businesses and jobs
- identify opportunities to increase visitors to the district
- identify the challenges that may impact on the district’s future growth
- identify key initiatives and develop priority action plans
- provide a strategic planning framework to guide the growth of our district for the next 10 years.
Council is developing the strategy in partnership with Wellington-based consultants Allen + Clarke. The strategy will be based on consultation with local businesses and the community through a series of facilitated workshops, a survey and one to one conversations with a small number of key stakeholders from various s ectors. Once drafted, the strategy will be available for public consultation.
The strategy will also work towards achieving Council’s vision for the Waimate District which is “Leading our communities towards a diverse, thriving and sustainable district.
”How can you get involved?
The strategy will impact on each and every one of us. We know there are a lot of people who have a passion for our district and we would like to hear from you.
Council held a series of interactive workshops for members of the community and those involved in business to share their views and ideas and contribute to the strategy. The evening workshops were held at the Waimate Event Centre on Tuesday 28 and Wednesday 29 March 2017. We thank everyone who participated in this process and appreciate the feedback received.