Waimate District Council currently allows freedom camping at several sites around the Waimate District.
Freedom Campers must have self-contained units (toilet, shower and grey water storage) to be eligable to use the following sites:
- Galletlys Road, St Andrews
- Gunn's Bush, Gunn's Bush Road, Hook
- Black Hole, Mount Harris Road, Waihao Downs
- Hakataramea River, McHenrys Road, Hakataramea
For more information on these areas call into the Waimate Information Centre.
The Council asks that all independent overnight campers behave in an acceptable manner while camping in the District.
- Leaving camp sites in a clean and tidy state
- Limiting stays at any one site to a maximum of two nights and this period shall not be exceeded in any calendar month
- Disposing of all toilet and wastewater at a Council approved dump point (Victoria Park and Knottingley Park)
- Disposing of all other refuse in approved bags and approved locations
- Following safe fire practices at all times, including fire bans
- Keeping dogs under control at all times