Waimate Historic Items
State Highway 82, Hakataramea.
This cob cottage is believed to have been built about 1880 from Penticotico clay and tussock. It was occupied by a farmer, James Paterson and his family. After his departure in 1893 casual workers continued to camp here. The building has been restored by local supporters and the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.
(Formerly The Courthouse)
28 Shearman Street, Waimate.
Designed by P.F.M. Burrows, Colonial Architect from 1877-1890 and built in 1879 of brick and plaster, the museum served as a courthouse for 100 years. Neo-Classical in style, it is a beautifully proportioned building and has the merit of being one of the finest courthouses in New Zealand.
Belt Street, Waimate.
This is the bell tower of the first Presbyterian church in Waimate. The church, of wood in Gothic form, was opened for public worship by Rev. A.B. Todd of Oamaru in August 1874. The original church was replaced by a stone building in 1935. As a result of efforts of the Waimate Mayor, Mr George Dash, the bell tower was removed from the site and placed in position near the early Presbyterian manse.
Te Waimate Woolshed
Te Waimate Station, State Highway 82, Waimate.
Michael Studholme built the woolshed from pit-sawn timber. This substantial 22 stand shed is believed to be one of the oldest working woolsheds in New Zealand. Original manuka railings can still be seen and iron protects the totara shingled roof.
Waikakahi Valley Road.
The Homestead named Waikakahi, was built by one of Waimate's first farming settlers, Allan McLean around 1874. Heart kauri was used for the weatherboards and the original heavy gauge iron is still on the floor. Amoung Canterbury's older homesteads, it is unusual in having been little altered since it was first built. The Valley is still, today, being lived in as a private home by the present owners Mrs & Mrs Tevor Bailey. Permission to view is needed by phoning 03 689 2602
Stonecairn/Hook Beach Monument
Erected in memory of the unexpected meeting on 16 January 1844 between two early European travellers. Bishop Selwyn, heading south on his first major episcopal journey around the South Island, encountered Edward Shortland, Sub-protector of Aboriginies, who was travelling north compiling the first census of South Island Maori. They camped the night together on the Hook Beach site, exchanging information about their journeys. The memorial was constructed by members of the Waimate Historic Soc. The concrete monument was faced with flat beach stones. The metal plate was made by Mr Bedo. It was unveiled on October 27th 1969 by the New Zealand Maori Bishop, the Right Rev Manu Bennett of Aotea-Roa.
Hakataramea Station Woolshed
Hakataramea Valley Road, Kurow district
The woolshed, a T-shaped building of limestone, orginally with 24 stands, dates from around 1868, when the Land Company took over the property. It is the only completely stone woolshed in South Canterbury. The shed featured a slatted floor, familiar nowadays, but at the time this was seen as a novelty. It is well worth a visit, although permission from management is needed to do so.
Chief Huruhuru Monument
Junc. Queen Street & Gorge Road, Waimate
Te Huruhuru, of Waitaha, Kati Mamoe and Kai Tahu descent, was chief of Te Waimatemate pa and the most important man in the Waimate district when the first European settlers arrived. In 1854 Te Huruhuru met Michael Studholme and came to an agreement with him about the new settler's occupation of the land. In 1855 Michael Studholme received the first pastoral license for 35,000 acres of the Waimate district. This monument was laid in 1934 to commemorate the meeting place between Chief Te Huruhuru and Michael Studholme. It was officially opened by Joseph Thomas Te Huruhuru (grandson) and E.C. Studholme (son).
Point Bush Road, Waimate
Originally a seasonal birding camp for local Maori, the area within the vicinity of the cemetery became the permanent home of the Te Waimatemate hapu. Chief Te Huruhuru died in 1861 and was buried within the cemetery enclosure. The sites of individual graves, including that of Te Huruhuru, cannot be pinpointed precisely. In 1934 the cemetery was taken over by the Waimate Borough Council and a monument was erected to mark the burial place of the Chief and other members of the Maori community. The monument is surrounded by native bush and is also near the site of the first Maori church that was built in Waimate in 1860.
St Augustine's Church
John Street, Waimate
Matai and totara trees were hauled from the Waimate forest in 1872 to build St Augustine's church in Waimate. Designed by Benjamin Mountford, the church was built by J.W. Gaitt and G. Dickson for 350 pounds ($700). St Augustine's lantern tower, built of Kahikatea by S. Collett when the church was enlarged in 1889, is a distinctive feature. In 1903 the bell tower was built. This tower has a square spire and ornate gables over louvered windows of the belfry. Amoung the beautiful stained glass windows is one on the side of sanctuary based on the design of Sir Edward Burne-Jones, a leading artist. The church boasts two of New Zealand's few stained glass windows designed and manufactured by the English firm of Morris & Co.
Maori Rock Drawings
The Moa Cave - (Valley of the Moa) and The Edged Tailed Eagle Cave
Gordon's Valley, Frenchman's Gulley, Pareora
Limestone shelters containing Maori rock drawings. Caves provided shelter on fishing and hunting expeditions for early Maori living in the area. The first drawings were done in black stain and some were later overlaid in red ochre. Sketches included birds, lizards, fish, whales, porposies, canoes, clubs, spears, human figures and the well-known birdman figure. One shelter in the Waimate district contains drawings of moa. Forms part of the QEII National Trust Covenant.
St Mary's Church (Anglican)
Church Hill Road off Esk Valley Road (Waimate District)
One of the loveliest of South Canterbury's churches. St Mary's Esk Valley was designed by the Christchurch architect B.W. Mountford and built of limestone from the Albury district. The church had its origins in tragedy. In 1878 Ellen, the young wife of Charles Meyer, owner of Blue Cliffs Station, died following an opertion. After the death, Charles Meyer instructed his trustees to build the little stone church to fulfill his wife's wish and to her memory. The church was consecrated in May 1880 by Bishop Harper. The interior is rich with colour from windows dedicated to members of some of the early settler families in the district.
Te Waimate Station, State Highway 82 Waimate
The Cuddy built in 1854 was the first home of the Studholme family, the first European settlers to the Waimate District. It was constructed from a single Totara tree with the roof being thatched. It has been faithfully restored and visitors are welcome to view The Cuddy by contacting the owners on 03 689 7791.
St Patrick's Church
Timaru Road, Waimate
Built in 1908, this church replaced the original which was built in 1876, and moved to Washdyke in 1934. The church, combining some Romanesque and Byzantium elements was one of several South Island churches designed by architect, F.W. Petrie. The tower was added in 1912 and the three bells in the tower were cast in Belgium. The largest weighs 3/4 tonne. Within the church is a fine pipe organ, a marble altar and several beautiful stained glass windows. The rose windows at the front of the church measurers 14 ft in diameter.
Pareora Lime Kilns
Pareora River Road (Waimate District)
Three kilometres west of Holme Station corner, at the Pareora Rivers end of the limestone ridge, stands an intact nineteenth century lime kiln. The remains of the older second kiln, which began producing, burnt lime in 1865 are nearby. The kiln was built by Frederick Le Cren, but soon passed into the hands of Edward Elworthy, owner of Holme Station. Some of the stonework of this earlier kiln has survived. It is of historic interest as the first kiln in South Canterbury known to have produced burnt lime. The second larger kiln was built around 1882 probably by Edward Elworthy. It is a tall circular structure, built of local bluestone blocks and lined with bricks, about one and a half meters in diameter and five meters high. It is built into the side of the hillside to facilitate filling from the top. There are double doors opening at the bottom and some sut basalt stonework on the front. This kiln is thought to have remained in use until the 1920's.
Jeanie Collier Grave
Horse Shoe Bend Road, Otaio
First woman runholder in New Zealand and the first European woman to live in Waimate Country, Jeanie Collier was probably born in 1791 or 1792 at Monimail, Fife, Scotland. She arrived from Scotland in 1854 agt the age of 62 with three of her orphaned nephews. Miss Collier became South Canterbury's only woman from England to be granted a pastoral licence. In 1855 she was granted a licence to occupy Crown waste lands from the Otaio Rover south to the Hook River. Jeanie's grave was marked with a headstone in 1955 and inscribed ' Jeanie Collier' took up the Otaio Run for her three nephews Leslie, James and Andrew Thomson. Died Otaio 16 September 1861 in her 70th year. There are also four gum trees planted at her reserve.
The White Horse
Centrewood Park, Hunters Hills, Waimate
In commemoration of the work done by the Clydesdales in the agricultural development of Waimate. The White Horse was made from 1,220 concrete slabs with the head being over 2 1/2 tonne. The monument was the inspiration of Mr Norman Hayman and modelled on the Whitehorse of England. The cairn erected above the concrete horse at Centrewood Park was unveiled on October 19th 1968 by the Minister of Agrirculture the Honorable B.E. Talboys.
Stone Arch Bridge
Meyers Pass Road, Waimate
Built by Overmeyer and Kirkland in 1879 the bridge across the Sisters Creek on Meyers Pass was completed and the road opened. It was faced with concrete in 1917 and is still in excellent condition today.