In November 1874 an application for a grant of money was made for a survey to be completed and a tender be called for clearing and planting the Waimate Park Reserve.
About this time the reserve was transferred from the crown to the Waimate township. Messrs Michael Studholme and John Manchester were appointed Commissioners and undertook the administration of the reserve.
The book 'South Canterbury a Record of Settlement' written by Oliver Gillespie and published in 1958 says "Knottingley Park, notable for its plantations of exotic trees is named after Knottingley in Yorkshire - the home of John Studholmes wife.
The planting of the park began in 1878. It is thought the first Oak tree (which still stands) was planted by Michael's wife Effie in 1878.
In succeeding years the Waimate Council Parks & Reserves Department has cared for and maintained the Park.
In 1993 a group of residents founded the 'Friends of Knottingley' and working alongside the Park Superintendent have achieved a lot. With many thousands of hours of voluntary labour they have landscaped new areas, renewed fences, planted thousands of bulbs, planted many new trees plus other work has been undertaken.
Locals call it a Park because that is what they've always known it to be. From 1874 over 3,000 tress large, small, evergreen, deciduous, well known and lesser known have been planted.
Knottingley Park is a great place for cricket, horse events, kennel club shows, camping, picnics and walking.
Knottingley Park also has a relica of an early bush hut built in 1864 and has a playground.
Knottingley Park is situated on Waihao Back Road, via Gorge Road (see our town map for futher directions)
03 689 8000 or 0274 392 759