This area of just over 17 acres, was set aside for recreational purposes in 1881, soon after the proclamation of the Borough in 1879.
The construction of a banked cycling track was authorised in February 1891, the oval within the track was levelled and sown in fine grass and the outer area planted in oaks and other English trees.
The track and oval had its greatest use on the day of the Caledonian Society's annual games on Boxing Day, with the formation of the Amateur Athletic Association in the 1920's. These days the annual Caledonian games are held in mid January of each year.
With the onset of the financial depression of the thirties and the availability of subsidised labour to the Borough Council, it was decided to make a curators house. Sheds for plants were erected and the park and ground improved under the guidance of the curators.
Additions at intervals were the aviary, the animal enclosure, the bowling green and pavilion, glass house. The latter glass house has been rebuilt and enlarged and is now called the 'Alex McRae House' as a mark of appreciation of his long term service as mayor of Waimate.
The parks also has a childrens playground, extensive camping facilities, a sound shell, Scout Den, netball and tennis courts, pavillion. A new racing track which was opened in February 2000.
Victoria Park is situated on Tennant Street with access for the camping grounds via Naylor Street (around the corner from Tennant Street).
For further information on Victoria Park contact: