The Waimate District Council provides, maintains and manages a comprehensive walk-in Library service.
The library has its own web site where you can renew, reserve and search the online catalog. You can also catch up on the latest library news and events.
The library website is available via this link http://library.waimatedc.govt.nz.
Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm
Friday 9am to 6pm
Saturday 10am to 1pm
125 Queen Street
03 689 0071
Fees and Charges
Click here for a full schedule of Library Fees and Charges
Our Library has over 23,000 volumes.
The collection comprises the latest of:
- popular fiction
- latest newspapers
- large print
- talking books are exchanged on a regular basis
- music CDs
- children's tape recordings
An inter-loan service is available. There is a computer for the public to access all our holdings.
Our staff have extensive experience in Library services.
The Library also provides free internet access for research and free Wi-Fi 24/7.
Every year Council maintain service levels set in agreement with our community. They are:
- Maintain, operate and develop an extensive Library facility to meet agreed service levels.
- Ensure that the Library supports demands for recreational material.
- Provide Library services that recognise demands for content that meets multi-language and multi-cultural needs.
- Loan and trade books, videos etc. with neighbouring Libraries and Rural communities.
- Provide study and research facilities for school children through to tertiary students and for all of the community.
Provision of Library services is an important means of furthering social and cultural objectives. A community owned Library collection provides a resource available to all members of our community that is far greater than any one individual or family could amass. The research capabilities of our Library, ensures that our residents are able to participate extramurally in tertiary studies not otherwise available in our District.