When developing the Economic Development Strategy, and following public feedback, five strategic themes were identified:
- Improving ICT connectivity and infrastructure
- Growing the district’s visitor economy
- Beautification of the district’s entrances and main streets
- Growing and attracting businesses and residents
- Enhancing employment and education
The strategy identifies the following:
- the strengths of Waimate District’s economy
- opportunities to retain and attract businesses and jobs
- opportunities to increase visitors to the district
- challenges that may impact on the district’s future growth
- key initiatives and develop priority action plans
- provides a strategic planning framework to guide the growth of our district for the next 10 years.
The strategy also work towards achieving Council’s vision for the Waimate District which is “Leading our communities towards a diverse, thriving and sustainable district”.
Action plans have now been developed (see document below) that cover a range of items, including:
- ICT infrastructure
- Residential housing strategy
- Signage and landscaping
- Golf destination
- Attracting new business and new residents
- Promoting arts and heritage
A steering group will now be formed to implement the action plans. As these are progressed, information will be made available here and in other publications.