Emergency Management and Health and Safety Officer
Job TypePart Time
Closing8 Feb 2019, 12:00 am
Waimate District Council is a small Council with a team approach to getting the job done. It is an innovative Council and there is always something new and exciting happening within the community.
In this key role, you will be primarily responsible for engagement and promotion of the 4 "R"s - reduction, readiness, response and recovery - of emergency management to enable Council to minimise the harmful effects of an emergency upon the Waimate Community, as well as delivering effective, best practice health and safety processes, reporting, policies and culture to foster our environment of continuous improvement.
Using your exceptional leadership, communication and coordination skills you will:
- Develop, deliver and monitor training for Council staff and community volunteers to ensure that they will be available and prepared in the event of an emergency
- Develop and maintain an effective public education programme and strive for maximum community engagement in Civil Defence matters
- Provide advice, support and training across the organisation in all Health and Safety matters
- Participate as a key member of the Civil Defence Emergency Management team
- Maintain the emergency management equipment and ensure facilities are available for emergency management
- Establish and maintain key relationships both within Council and with external agencies
As you'll be playing an important part in Council and the community, you'll bring your sound knowledge of the Waimate District, along with your exceptional organisational and computer literacy skills. Ideally you will have a tertiary qualification and be experienced in emergency management or health and safety, that would put you in good stead for this role. If your experience and qualifications are in one area, training will be provided in the other, so you'll need to be a quick learner.
Waimate is situated less than 2.5 hours from Dunedin or Christchurch and just half an hour from Timaru or Oamaru. It is close to the sea, lakes and mountains boasting a great lifestyle. It is a small community with a population of 7,500 and is a highly productive agricultural region with a broad and expanding farming sector. This is an ideal location for family, outdoor sports and pursuits with a rural lifestyle.
To apply for this job go to:
http://waimatedc.recruitmenthub.co.nz and enter reference code 4515988.
Applications close 8 February 2019.
Download the Job Description below.