- To reduce the District's overall cost incurred in transporting and disposal of waste products to landfill. Currently the equivalent of 300 truck loads of waste is landfilled per year, of which approximately 1/4 is compostable greenwaste.
- To reduce effects on the environment. Waste from wheelie bins is not sorted, but goes directly to landfill. Green waste deposited from your bin decomposes into methane gas, contributing to the greenhouse effect, while leachate produced in the landfill may harm the environment.
- To reduce dependency on refuse wheelie bins, to promote waste diversion and to reduce your costs!
For further information contact Utilities +64 3 689 0047 or email@example.com.
Council provide a weekly user-pays refuse collection to all urban properties and a fortnightly collection to rural areas including St Andrews, Makikihi, Morven and Glenavy.
Urban residents and businesses have the choice between using a wheelie bin or official bags.
Rural ratepayers wishing to join the service must apply for a wheelie bin, as bags will not be collected.
If you wish to dispose of your own rubbish you can take it to the Resource Recovery Park at the end of Racecourse Road, Waimate. For more information, including opening hours, click here.
Refuse bins (wheelie bins)
Bins can be applied for through Council and should be delivered within approximately one week. Ratepayers are committed to the bin until the end of the financial year (1 July - 30 June).
If you rent, you will need the landlord's agreement as the charge is added to the rates of the property.
If moving properties, the bin must be left for the new owners.
Rural bins must be taken to the official route to be emptied.
If your wheelie bin was missed please phone +64 3 689 0047.
Request a bin or additional recycling crate
Official bags will be picked up in urban area only. Weight limit is 12kg. Bags with the official Council logo are available from:
- Waimate District Council Office, 125 Queen Street, Waimate
- Waimate Information Centre, 15 Paul Street, Waimate
Bags and bins should be put out before 7am on day of collection.
|East of line High, Shearman, Glasgow, Queen and William Streets||Wednesday|
|Upper High Street and Rest of Town||Thursday|
|Glenavy (every 2nd week)||Tuesday|
|Morven (every 2nd week)||Tuesday|
|Makikihi (every 2nd week)||Tuesday|
|St Andrews (every 2nd week)||Tuesday|
|Other Serviced Rural Areas||Tuesday|
The Resource Recovery Park accepts some green waste. Customers must place lawn clippings and fibrous leaves separately where directed.
Please note that contaminated loads will be rejected. Materials such as rubbish, bags, fibrous plants and grass clippings must not be left in the green waste area.
Metallic Sweeping (phone 0800 359 1221) also provide a green waste service. Order a green wheelie bin and you can have it collected every two weeks. Here's a list of what you can dispose of:
- Small branches
- Grass clippings
- Garden clippings
Is your garage or shed cluttered with old unwanted paint and paint containers? For more information visit Resene.
Community groups can apply to Resene to obtain the used paint.