Have your say - Queen Street speed limits
HAVE YOUR SAY
Queen Street Speed Limits
As part of the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency’s Interim State Highway Speed Management Plan (the Plan), a section of Queen Street (State Highway 82) is proposed to have a variable speed limit of 30km, when school children are present.
Council’s preference is to have a permanent 30km limit on Queen Street (from Leonard Street to Glasgow Street) for the following reasons and will be submitting on these points:
• Lower speeds protect everyone, especially vulnerable people like children, cyclists, pedestrians, the elderly and people with disability.
• Parking activity - vehicles back into the traffic flow from angle parking.
• Significant reduction in harm in crashes when the speed is reduced to 30km.
• Large amount of heavy vehicle traffic using Queen Street, includes dairy tankers, logging trucks and stock trucks. Reducing the speed of these vehicles significantly lowers the distance that these vehicles take to stop.
• Contributes to amenity value - more pleasant for users when traffic slower, less noise and dust.
Council is encouraging business owners and residents to use the Waka Kotahi open consultation to have their say on highway speed limits. If you agree, or wish to have your say on this suggestion (or any part of the Plan), visit https://www.nzta.govt.nz/.../interim-state-highway-speed.../ ,you can also view the full consultation document at this link.
All submissions must be received by Monday 12 December 2022 at 5pm.