The Heritage Grant is for projects that include archaeological and traditional sites, buildings and sites with Historic Place classifications, notable and heritage trees and other buildings or sites Council consider worthy of assistance. This is currently funded at $5000 per annum.
Council receive applications on a six monthly basis, typically in February and August each year. Click here to open the application form. For exact closing dates, please contact the Grants Administrator at email@example.com or phone +64 3 689 7771.
- Archaeological and traditional sites.
- Buildings and sites with Heritage New Zealand classifications and/or listed in the Waimate District Plan.
- Other buildings or sites Council consider worthy of assistance.
- Notable and heritage trees.
- In the case of heritage value buildings, preference will be given to assistance with the restoration or strengthening of the structure or fabric.
- In the case of heritage or notable trees, preference will be given to work to enable conservation or protection of the tree/s.
- Recording any aspect of the District's heritage.
- Funding priority will be given to buildings and sites that are in public ownership eg community enhancement groups, incorporated societies, trusts etc.
- Projects for ordinary maintenance and repair of heritage buildings and sites, with the exception of war memorials.
- Projects for Council-owned heritage buildings or heritage sites.
- Ongoing operational costs eg office rental, salaries.
- Costs that cannot be verified with appropriate quotes.
- Activities that have already begun and/or been completed (unless of a staged nature).
- Fundraising activities.
- Any other reason Council considers not appropriate for funding.
Conditions of assistance
- The projects for which grants are sought must be capable of completion within one year of receiving the grant. Refunds may be requested if the project is not completed within the one year.
- Applicants will be asked for proof of their project being finalised by completing an accountability form (see link below).
- Future applications will not be considered by Council unless a project accountability form has been completed by the original applicant for previous funding within two months of project completion.
- Applications must include two (2) written quotes.
- Applicants may be requested to supply additional information.
You may also be asked to:
- Agree to registration of the heritage building, tree or site in the Waimate District Plan; and/or
- A Heritage New Zealand Pouohere Taonga Act covenant; and/or
- A QE11 National Trust covenant.
Not more than 50% of the total cost of a project will be granted from the fund, up to a maximum of $1,000.
For assistance in applying for a Heritage Grant please contact the Grant Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +64 3 689 7771.
Please complete the Grant Accountability form within two months of project completion, or within a year of funds being allocated, or before your next application for funding.
If the project is not completed within one year of receiving the grant, Waimate District Council may request unspent funds to be returned.
Please use the form for all expenditure relating to your grant.
Click the button below to complete the form.